Last month I shared with you the question I get asked the most in 5 Must Dos Before ‘I Do’ and I got some great feedback. I am also happy to know that I am not alone in being asked “When are you getting married?” It seems that regardless, if you are single, involved with someone or married there seems to be a question being asked of you.
When I created my list I realized that there were so many things to do before one gets married that I decided to give it to you in two parts. Here are 5 MORE must dos before “I Do”.
- Get your credit together! Starting a marriage is work. Hard work. Finances are the #1 cause for arguments in a marriage. Knowing how money works is the first step towards having a great credit score. You’ll be happy that you took the steps before you got married, trust me!
- Eat Healthy! Getting into the habit of eating healthy before you get married will help you in the long run. It’ll help prevent gaining HAPPY WEIGHT in the beginning of your marriage. Eating healthy will also help you maintain a healthy weight for when the kids start to come into the picture. It will also help prevent getting diseases that are associated with gaining too much weight. As a bonus you’ll have great energy to plan your wedding, YAY!
- Start a wedding fund. People might say that it’s bad luck to start saving for a wedding before you’re asked but is it not better to be prepared? Weddings are very expensive. After you add up the cost for the DJ, the venue, flowers, invitations, the rehearsal dinner, a dress and a tuxedo … Do you hear the cash register sound getting louder and louder? Some couples may charge their BIG day expenses to their credit cards, but what couple wants to start out their marriage in thousands of dollars of debt?
- Start a Wedding Pinterest board. Wedding planning can be an overwhelming experience. Have you ever seen the TLC show Bridezilla? I rest my case. It’s smart to start small and Pinterest is the perfect place to store all your likes and loves for your wedding day. You can browse websites, pin the picture of the idea that you have, and write a short description as to why you pinned it or what the pin is about. You save the information now so you have it at your fingertips for later. Pinterest also has a special feature of displaying dollar amounts by simply adding the dollar sign in front of the cost. What’s more exciting is that there is a category for weddings so you can check out what other people have pinned and all the work has been done for you.
- Love yourself. If you love yourself than it is easy for people to love you back. If you are having a hard time with that now, then it’ll be difficult to have and keep a relationship that produces love. It takes time to get to know YOU, what you like and what you don’t like it. It takes years to be comfortable in your skin, to be at ease with being around just you AND figuring out what makes you happy. Once you figure out the ins and outs of being you and how to love you, then you can communicate that effectively to your future spouse. I’m not saying you have to hold off being in a relationship until you figure yourself out. If you’re in a relationship now take time for yourself! The things that make you happy will change over the years. Taking the guessing game out of what makes you happy will leave you with one less thing to worry about and keep your Honeymoon Phase lasting longer. Who doesn’t want that?
BONUS: Get used to people asking you where your ring is. It’ll change to are you married yet and then to when are you having kids. If your mom is like mine then you’ll hear all 3 at the same time! :O
What’s on your list? Check out what Heather of Diary of A First Time Mom has to say about her Before Marriage Bucket List! Before I leave you I’d like to make a shout out to one of my favorite couples, The Simpsons who celebrate their anniversary today! It is a blessing to witness love!